Restylane® Family of Fillers
“You are only as old as you feel”
Great quote! But for or many people, their face doesn’t reflect the youthfulness that they feel. Over the years, sun exposure, natural aging and lifestyle factors can break down the collagen and elastin (the support structure of the skin) causing new wrinkles and lines to appear.
Restylane® is a cosmetic dermal filler used to restore volume and fullness to the skin, improving the appearance of wrinkles and facial folds. It was the first of the modern-era hyaluronic acid fillers to be FDA-approved in the mid 2000’s, and is still a favorite of Dr. Black, Brooke Smart, FNP and Cheryl Sundlov, PA-C. The most common areas injected are the nasolabial folds (the lines extending from the nose to the corners of the mouth), the lips, and the tiny vertical lines around the lips. Restylane® can be used to restore lip volume lost over time or to enhance lips that have always been thin or asymmetric.
Restylane® is made of hyaluronic acid, a normal component of the skin that gives it support and volume. Restylane® is not derived from animal sources and therefore has very little risk of allergic reaction. It gives a soft, natural look and feel, and lasts an average of six months,
- Restylane Kysse® is the newest member of the Restylane® family of fillers. It is made of smaller particles of hyaluronic acid and is designed to fill tiny vertical lip lines and give soft, natural volume to the lip itself.
- Restylane Lyft® has a larger gel particle size and is designed for injection into deeper folds, such as deeper nasolabial folds (from the nose to the corner of the mouth). It can also be used to provide subtle, natural-looking lift and contour to the upper cheeks. Dr. Black, Brooke Smart, FNP and Cheryl Sundlov, PA-C find it especially helpful to soften the marionette lines (the folds from the corner of the mouth to the jawline) and lift the mouth corners.
- Restylane Refyne® is now available at Las Colinas Dermatology and can be injected to rejuvenate moderate to severe facial wrinkles, like the nasolabial folds.
- Restylane Defyne® is recommended for deeper nasolabial folds and marionette lines. These treatments provide an aesthetic benefit of a mid to deep cosmetic injectable without “looking like you had work done.”
- Restylane Contour® is approved for cheek enhancement, support, and contouring. This new hyaluronic acid gel filler is flexible but supportive, providing natural looking results in the midface at rest and with expression.
How do I choose between Restylane® family of Fillers and other fillers?
Dr. Black, Brooke Smart, FNP or Cheryl Sundlov, PA-C will evaluate the areas you wish to treat and determine which filler is most appropriate. Often more than one filler will be used, in different areas.
What can I expect?
Some discomfort can be expected with filler injections, and depending on the site, Dr. Black, Brooke or Cheryl may use topical anesthesia or dental blocks (injectable anesthesia) to make the treatment more comfortable. With Restylane®, mild to moderate swelling can occur, especially when the lips are treated, and last for 1-2 days.
How are fillers like Restylane® different from BOTOX®?
Restylane® and other fillers plump up lines and restore volume (mostly in the lower face), whereas BOTOX® relaxes muscles that cause wrinkles (mostly in the upper face).
Call Las Colinas Dermatology at 972.432.0300 and we will be glad to answer any questions and schedule a consultation with Dr. Alison Black, Brooke Smart, FNP or Cheryl Sundlov, PA-C to see how Restylane® can enhance your appearance.